Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Being Frugal: At the Grocery Store 4

This weeks' and last week's shopping trips are going to roll into one post (although I picked up the ad while I was at the store yesterday, and there were a few things I'll go back for later this week).

February 16th trip - $28.51
Tator Tots - $2.48
This will be enough for topping 3 tator tot casseroles. 

5 frozen pizzas - $10
At $2 each, this is a pretty darn cheap meal. And it's something hubby can quickly and easily make himself when I'm not home in the evening.

2 boxes spaghetti, 1 box pasta shells, and 1 box vermicelli - $4
Great to just have on hand for an easy meal, and the vermicelli was already used in hubby's Valentine's dinner.

2.5lb bag of chicken breasts - $4.98
I usually wait till this goes on sale for $3.98, but missed that one this time around. This is great for stirfry.

1 package imitation crab meat - $1
This is for Seafood Lasagna. Not sure when I'm going to make it, but it's in the plan for...sometime.

5lb potatoes - $1.88
2.5lbs onions - $2.88
These are staples in our house and I use onions in just about everything.


February 23rd trip - $12.83
Powdered milk - $6.98
This will make 32 cups of milk and I bought it at the suggestion of a 2nd cousin, to use in baking, etc. Not to drink straight. Although I did try a sip. Gross. lol. I'm very snooty about milk. I'm going to try it with the Loaded Baked Potato Chowder that we like - 1/2 real milk, 1/2 powdered milk.

Oatmeal - $1.98
Breakfast, every morning. This'll make between 30-40 breakfasts...and that's a lot cheaper than a bowl of cereal. 

Green onions - $0.99
For the Loaded Baked Potato Chowder.

2.28lb Oranges - $2.26 
Yep. Oranges again. For lunches. Apparently the pith is the healthiest part of the orange...and I don't like the pith at all. 

We've started buying milk at Walgreens after church - last week it was $3.79/gallon, which is a pretty good price!

We're fairly stocked up in the Larson household, so I'm trying to cut back on what I buy every week until we get the pantry/freezer emptied a little bit. I'll be sure to share the recipes that I make.

No comments:

Post a Comment