Pages

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Texas Skillet: A Family Favorite

This is one of my go-to meals, and one of Jordan's favorites, so I'm kind of surprised I haven't posted it yet!

Mom used to make this alll the time for us when we were growing up. We loved it. It was always the request for birthday meals. (Except for me, I was weird and wanted Pigs in Blankets for my birthday...which everyone else in the world refers to as Cabbage Rolls. My siblings hated my birthday dinners.)

Anywho. Texas Skillet. I'm not sure where mom got the recipe, and it's almost more of a dip than a meal, but it's a meal at our house!

Make it. Love it.

Texas Skillet
2lbs ground beef
3/4 cup chopped onion
16oz can tomatoes, cut up
15oz can red kidney beans
1/2 cup instant rice
3 tbsp chopped green pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic salt
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Cook beef and onion. Drain. Stir in all other ingredients (except the cheese!). Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20mins. Stir occasionally. Top with cheese. Enjoy with Frito Scoops.

I do quite a few variations on this recipe:
1lb of ground beef instead of 2lbs
An extra can of kidney beans
Fresh garlic + 1/2 tsp salt
More chili powder + cayenne pepper
Sometimes I don't have a green pepper on hand, so I go without

Really, just make the recipe your own and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, do you add water to this recipe in order to bring it to a boil, our are you just using the beans and tomatoes without draining then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No water - just the undrained beans and tomatoes. There's usually quite a bit of liquid, and I leave the lid off at the end to let some of the liquid evaporate.

      Delete